Krypto Krackle by tydesignSketch Fury Challenge No. 5
Immediately when this sketch challenge was issued, I knew exactly which character I was going to draw. We recently adopted a beagle, whom we decided to name after one of the greatest comic book artists ever, the late great Jack Kirby. Officially, the new Sketch Fury mascot’s name is Kirby Krackle. (See Sketch Fury Challenge No. 5 for Kirby’s photo)
In honor of King Jack, I knew I had to employ the technique named Kirby Krackle (or Kirby Dots) into the work. And this meant Krypto had to use his heat vision and it was going to be massive amount of energy because there always is in any Kirby art.
Again wanting to keep the momentum going, I set out to sketching blue lines immediately after I had finished last week’s Hawkman. I knew there would be massive amounts of work with this sketch as I was envisioning it and needed to plan how I would lay down the finishing pencils to prevent a smudging. I worked methodically, laying down the pencils for Krypto first, the the mountains at the bottom, and finally working clockwise around Krypto to complete all the Krackle energy in the air.
Dog anatomy. Is it accurate? Might be debatable, but I’m quite pleased overall. I wanted to give hime muscle, just like my Kirby Krackle. This sketch is after all, a tribute to him as well for bringing us joy during a difficult morning where we lost our cat of 11 years, Yami. His energy, love and curiosity inspired this drawing as much as King Jack himself.
Unlike my previous sketches, I’m not being overly critical. I’m pretty happy with the way the entire sketch turned out. Things I’m pleased about:
- Executing an idea, with minimum waffling. I made quick decisions, stuck with them and this, in turn, led to less erasures.
- Kirby Krackle. I had so much fun, it was uplifting and I needed it.
- Pilot Color Eno Mechanical Pencil – 0.7 mm – Soft Blue Body – Soft Blue Lead
- Ohto Promecha 500P Drafting Pencil – 0.4 mm
- Paper Mate Tuff Stuff Eraser Stick
- Tombow Mono Zero Eraser – 2.3 mm – Circle – Black Body
- STAEDTLER 526 B209 Mars Rasoplast Black Edition Eraser
- Strathmore 300 Series Bristol Board Pads
- As you probably guessed, with the passing of our black cat, Yami, I’ll be paying her tribute in the upcoming weeks in one of my sketches.
- I’d love to try some inking. This week’s sketch would have been nice to have a great inker. Anyone willing to ink it?
Thanks for listening and please leave some feedback on this week’s sketch.